If you’re any kind of Star Wars fan, then you probably know about a lil’ old film called The Empire Strikes Back — arguably, the best movie in the entire franchise.
And when you’re filming the follow-up to the highest-grossing movie of all time, OBVIOUSLY, you’re gonna go all out — so, production provided cast and crew with custom-made winter gear…
…including these legendary blue parka jackets.
And the blue parkas have since become something of a “holy grail” collectors item for die-hard Star Wars fans. Here’s a few reasons why:
* Back in 1979, when making Empire, crew gear was NOT a thing that films made (not like it is today). So this was wildly unique for the time.
* There were only a few dozen of these jackets actually made.
* They were custom made by a local Norwegian company that no longer exists.
* When they DO come up for auction, they can sell for well over $7,000.
* And, ya know, it just looks so damn cool — there’s a friggin’ Darth Vader in flames patch on it!
The jackets in action!
OK. Now that you know the backstory about THE jacket, here’s the deal. Lucasfilm has teamed up with Columbia to create a modern day replica, the “STAR WARS EMPIRE CREW PARKA” — here’s what it looks like:
There’s even an added Easter egg (of course!) inside each one — a patch with the coordinates of the Hardangerjøkulen Glacier — the exact shooting location of the Hoth scenes.
“But is it even a PRACTICAL jacket? Or does it just LOOK cool?,” you might ask. Well — let me tell you, this thing is LEGIT. Because I put it to the test in the coldest place I could find in Los Angeles…an ice rink.
I only had a T-shirt on underneath the jacket but I felt as cozy Luke Skywalker tucked into a Tauntaun’s belly.
Just look how CUSHY it is inside:
But here’s the very best news — YOU CAN GET ONE, TOO.
Do or do not (get one of these). There is no try.