1. The ladies of Insecure slayed this week! First, it was announced that Issa Rae and Laura Dern will be producing and starring in a new HBO limited series, The Dolls.
2. Second, Natasha Rothwell inked an overall deal with HBO.
3. And last, but not least, Yvonne Orji signed a book deal with Flatiron Books!
4. Kennedy Mack, a freshman at Howard University, was crowned Ms. Texas Teen USA, the first black woman to be named so!
5. Viola Davis and Julius Tennon signed a first look deal with Amazon Studios!
6. The Hollywood Reporter had their largest photoshoot ever. The subjects? All these beautiful black female screenwriters.
7. Common is developing and producing Zora Neale Hurston’s novel, Barracoon, into a limited series.
8. Whitney Huell is the first black ballerina ever in the history of the Kansas City Ballet to dance a lead in The Nutcracker.
9. Travis Scott scored his first number one on the Billboard Hot 100 with “Sicko Mode.”
10. It’s award season, y’all! First up, congrats to SZA and Janelle Monáe for their Billboard Women in Music Awards!!
11. Regina Hall won the award for Best Actress at the New York Film Critics Circle Awards – and is the first black woman to do so!
12. Congrats to all of our fabulous Golden Globe nominees. Especially Black Panther, the first superhero movie to ever be nominated for Best Picture, Drama.
13. And a SUPER shoutout goes to the cast and creators of Pose for their groundbreaking Best TV Series, Drama nomination!
14. And last, but certainly not least, congrats to all of our amazing Grammy Award nominees, especially newcomers, Chloe X Halle!
Shoutout to all this black excellence. Can’t wait to see what amazingness we have in store next week!
H/T to BecaseOfThemWeCan