We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to share the weirdest thing they ever did as a kid, and a whole lot of responses involved the really, really weird things they ate:
1. I used to eat paper dinner napkins. I think it was a texture thing, but to be frank I’m not really sure what my deal was.
2. When I was 4 or 5, I put food in my Coke all the time. Once at a restaurant I put fried fish, lettuce, tomato, and cabbage in my Coke, then mixed it up and drank/ate it all. The waitress was shocked, but it was normal to my family.
3. I ate coins. For some reason I used to just sit on my floor and swallow pennies and nickels. If I get some weird sickness when I’m older I can’t be surprised!
4. I used to eat Play-Doh. We had a playhouse in my basement where I would store my Play-Doh (the adults couldn’t fit in there), and I would go down and eat pretty much an entire can.
5. I used to eat baby powder. Yes, baby powder. Loads of it. Like a kid in Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, I’d shovel it into my mouth. I still don’t know why to this day. I tried to do it again as an adult and it was just…no.
6. At the beach I would lick cheese doodles, dip them in the sand, and then eat them. My family never lets me forget it.
7. When I was a toddler I’d eat lotion, and lots of it. It was the kind with the pump so I had easy access to it. My family started hiding the lotion in high-up cabinets, but I’d climb on top of things to get to the cabinets and eat it anyway. I look back on it now and gag.
8. When I was 7 I used to eat leaves a LOT — house plants, trees, flowers, anything I could get my hands on. I just liked the way they tasted.
9. I used to eat mayonnaise with a spoon straight from the jar.
10. I’d chew rawhide dog bones. I’d hide in the dog kennel in the living room and watch TV while chewing them. I wanted to be a dog so bad.
11. I used to dump cat food into a bowl and then chow down. I got caught doing this lots and lots of times.
12. Me and my friends used to eat Elmer’s glue sticks. I did it on a dare and discovered they were sweet.
13. When I was really young I used to eat the carpet at my grandma’s house. I swear it tasted so damn good. I must have had some kind of fiber deficiency or something, but every time I was at my grandma’s I’d lay on my stomach in the living room and eat carpet.
14. I used to steal my mom’s little jar of Carmex and eat it. She rarely had more than one thing of Carmex at a time because I’d always take them. She had no clue.
15. I used to LOVE eating fruit loops with little chunks of cheddar cheese. I’d pour myself a bowl of fruit loops, add cut up chunks of cheese, pour in the milk, and enjoy!
16. I’d eat dry oatmeal or dry hot cocoa right out of the packet.
17. When I was a kid I used to drink the ketchup packets that came with to-go orders from restaurants. And not just one or two — I’d drink handfuls of them at a time. I only realized it was weird when I brought some to school and saw the looks of disgust on my peers’ faces.
18. Sugar on a stick of butter was my go-to snack.
19. My mom had this Nivea container that I used to eat out of thinking it was ice cream.
20. I’d eat dirt and rocks. Seriously. Whenever I got the chance, I’d grab a tiny little bit and slowly chew it all afternoon. And, no, I wasn’t anemic (it can be a sign of low iron), I just LOVED the taste. I still crave it sometimes.
21. I used to take a saltine cracker and draw all over it with markers. Then, after taking a moment to admire my drawing, I’d eat the cracker as if the drawing made it taste better.
22. I used to lick the bottom of my shoes because I thought it tasted good.
23. I was super into insects and would lay on the ground and eat ants.
Want to be featured in future BuzzFeed posts? Follow the BuzzFeed Community on Facebook and Twitter!
Need inspiration for your gift shopping? Look no further! BuzzFeed has teamed up with Microsoft and their AI Zo to help you shop for all those hard-to-shop-for people on your list. Message Zo on Facebook with #hacktheholidays to get started!