We asked the BuzzFeed Community to show us their weight loss journeys and share their best tips. Everyone’s experiences and bodies are different, but here’s what worked for them.
1. Stop drinking soda.
2. Don’t be scared to eat something if you’re craving it. Depriving yourself of your favorite foods can hinder your success in the long run.
3. Set a small fitness goal (like hitting a certain number of steps) to accomplish every single day.
4. Try not to think of your journey as a “diet,” because that may negatively imply that you’re limiting and restricting yourself.
5. Make working out an activity you can do with someone else, as a way to keep each other motivated.
6. Document your journey online so other people can motivate you and help hold you accountable.
7. Set achievable goals for yourself and make sure you celebrate smaller victories that aren’t strictly about the number of pounds you’ve lost.
8. Teach yourself about serving sizes and calories.
9. Try to find new activities and habits that will actually make working out enjoyable and fun for you, rather than a chore.
10. Don’t feel forced to cook every single meal, and research some healthier options from your favorite restaurants.
11. Learn how to make healthier food substitutions while cooking and eating out.
12. Find someone or something that will keep you motivated when you’re really struggling.
13. Don’t feel pressured to tackle nutrition and fitness all at once.
14. Learn about what’s actually in your food so you can eat and cook more nutritious meals.
15. Focus on your overall health instead of a certain number on the scale.
16. Find new or less conventional ways to get fit (like martial arts or dancing) so you don’t feel limited to just weights or a treadmill.
17. Walk every chance you get, even if it’s just around the block.
19. If you can afford it, get a personal trainer to help familiarize yourself with new workouts and hold yourself more accountable.
20. Join a workout group or gym that puts an emphasis on community. That way you’ll have support from people who are going through similar journeys.
21. And understand that your body will need a LOT of rest and your journey will take time, so don’t push yourself too hard or expect results instantly.
Want to be featured in similar BuzzFeed posts? Follow the BuzzFeed Community on Facebook and Twitter!