We asked the BuzzFeed Community to show us their weight loss journeys and reveal their best tips for getting started. Everyone’s fitness goals and journeys are different, but here’s what worked for them.
1. Learn how many calories are actually in the foods you eat, but don’t feel like you need to deprive yourself of your favorites.
2. Instead of setting unrealistic lifestyle goals for yourself, focus on making achievable lifestyle changes.
3. Try to stop drinking your calories, and make sure you increase your water intake.
4. Find a person in your life who will continuously inspire you to be your best, healthiest self.
5. Challenge yourself to walk as much as possible, even if you start out by just making it around the block.
6. Don’t feel like you need to do a complete overhaul and change every single thing about your life – small, consistent changes are key.
7. Start keeping track of your progress – steps, workouts, etc. – so you can physically see all of your hard work and growth.
8. To help make working out or eating healthy feel like less of a chore, find an aspect of fitness or cooking that you really enjoy.
9. Learn how to replace certain foods with healthier options.
10. Be patient, because you probably won’t see changes immediately.
11. Try to be steady and consistent with your exercise and food routines.
12. Become more aware of when you emotionally eat or eat when you’re bored so you can try to control it.
13. If you can afford it, get a personal trainer to help familiarize you with new workouts, get comfortable at the gym, and hold yourself more accountable.
14. But understand that you don’t need to go to a gym or hire a trainer to see results and feel stronger or healthier.
15. Learn about macronutrients and how you can use them to meal-prep healthy, balanced food for yourself.
16. And most importantly, keep in mind that there are some things you literally just can’t control.
Want to be featured in similar BuzzFeed posts? Follow the BuzzFeed Community on Facebook and Twitter!
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and clarity.