When it comes to gluten-free baking, cookies can be a challenge. Sometimes they turn out gummy, sometimes they’re too crumbly — it’s not easy to get them right!
So we rounded up 12 helpful tips for baking perfect gluten-free cookies at home — from picking the right flour substitute to using xanthan gum — so you never end up with a sad gluten-free cookie again.
1. First things first, make sure to check all of your ingredients before baking with them to make sure they’re actually gluten-free.
2. When picking out a gluten-free flour blend, check the ingredients to make sure it contains a binding agent…
3. Or, if you plan on making your own gluten-free flour blend, invest in a digital kitchen scale.
4. When mixing your cookie dough, don’t worry about “overworking” the dough and beat it slightly longer than you normally would…
5. And refrigerate the dough if it’s too sticky.
6. Scoop your dough slightly smaller than you would regular cookies…
7. And shape the dough into perfectly round balls before baking them to make sure they turn out nice and pretty.
8. Use nonstick baking mats or parchment paper to prevent your cookies from sticking.
9. Try using nut flours (such as almond flour) in place of wheat flour — but not for everything.
10. Gluten-free cookies have a tendency to be dense, so don’t be afraid of using additional leavener.
11. Let your cookies cool completely before trying to move them.
12. Start with gluten-free cookie recipes and work your way up to converting wheat recipes on your own.
Ready to put these tips to use? Check out 14 gluten-free cookie recipes and get baking!